ASP.NET development is one of the most popular development technologies adopted today. It has its own inherent advantages that have led to many companies offering offshore software outsourcing services, adopting it as a preferred development tool. A .NET development company can only draw so much benefit from this technology, unless it adopts performance optimization techniques for reducing development time frames and raising benchmarks. Here, we will try to see some common tips that can be used to enhance the performance of web applications.
- Generally, applications are structured based on tier-based architecture. Though, this greatly helps accommodate scaling needs, the application performance is bound to take a hit due to resource and data hopping between multiple tiers. Wherever possible, ASP.NET pages and their associated components should be executed in the same application.
- Clubbing multiple return resultsets can greatly decrease the application response times. This basically involves aggregating all similar database access and resultsets into one request. The load on the database server is minimized to a great extent.
- Use the ASP.NET DataGrid with stored procedures optimizes the paged resultset size, thereby reducing the load of the application. The page index and size is passed in the procedure so that a precise number of records are fetched and no resources are lost on the discard operations. the paged resultset size, thereby reducing the load of the application. The page index and size is passed in the procedure so that a precise number of records are fetched and no resources are lost on the discard operations.
- Setting up a TCP connection between the web application and SQL Server can be optimised using connection pooling. Additionally, all the connections in the pool should be opened and diligently closed after use.
- Decide if there are pockets of data that need to be accessed and used more than once. If the answer is yes, use the ASP.NET Cache feature. For components executing within the ASP.NET application, insert a reference to the System.Web.dll in your application project. When defining access to the cache, utilise the HttpRuntime.Cache property.
These are just a few tips that we employ when developing ASP.NET web application for our set of global clients. We are a .NET development company providing offshore software outsourcing services. We have a large talent pool of programmers who have honed their skills to perfection. You can hire .NET developers from us for designing, developing and deploying your web application.